Site icon Ghanaian Times

AMA pledges new stores to individuals affected by redevelopment of 31st December Mokola Market

Mr Ziyad (second from right) addressing the press

Mr Ziyad (second from right) addressing the press

The Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) has assured affected individual in the redevelopment of the 31st December Makola Market that their shops will be returned to them after the first phase is completed in six months.

It clarified that the ongoing activity did not constitute a forceful eviction; rather, it formed part of a planned redevelopment initiative aimed at transforming the existing one-storey material stores into a modern market facility.

Speaking at a press conference yesterday in Accra, the Presiding Member of the Assembly, Mr Musa Ziyad, said the project would include about 400 stores and the individuals who owned the 53 stores which had been demolished would be provided with new stores.

He explained the old shop constructed over five decades ago needed to be redeveloped into a four-storey modern market facility to create additional trading spaces for shopkeepers, particularly those currently operating along roadsides, pavements, and other unauthorised areas within the Central Business District.

He said so far, the Assembly had compiled an album of the affected stores, listing the names and photographers of the owners, emphasising that, contrary to claims that traders were not engaged, the Assembly had involved them in the process.

“The AMA wishes to place on record that the redevelopment process was preceded by extensive stakeholder engagements, consultations, and notices involving traders, shop owners, market leaders, and other affected persons.

“Several meetings were held with the affected traders and their representatives in 2025 to discuss the objectives, scope, timelines, and anticipated benefits of the redevelopment project. During these discussions, the Assembly and the traders occupying the low-rise structures agreed on the necessity to vacate the area to allow for construction works to commence,” Mr Ziyad said.

He added that, subsequently, on Monday, June 30, 2025, the General Assembly approved the decision to redevelop certain structures within the existing markets to create space for petty traders unable to afford high shop costs.

He stated that one of the initial projects identified was the redevelopment of the one-storey material stores near the Ghana National Fire Service Metro Station into a four-storey facility, adding that,

On August 27, 2025, all occupants of the 31st December Makola Market material store were invited to a stakeholder meeting.

Mr Ziyad said that during the meeting, the decision to redevelop the facility was formally communicated, and the Mayor informed traders about the redevelopment and the need for them to temporarily relocate to allow the project to proceed.

“During the meeting, traders were assured that an album would be compiled to gather data on all tenants inhabiting the main building, container owners, and other operators around the project site. This was to ensure proper documentation and facilitate the allocation of shops and spaces after completion of the project.

“The Assembly further notes that affected traders were promised post-project allocation, and store occupants would receive discounts on rent after completion,” he said.

He reiterated that the redevelopment initiative was not meant to deprive traders of their livelihoods but to safeguard their long-term interests by providing affordable, well-planned, and decent trading spaces.

There have been growing concerns among traders over plans by the Assembly to demolish portions of the market without first providing an alternative location for affected traders to continue their businesses.

BY BERNARD BENGHAN

Follow our WhatsApp Channel now! https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbAjG7g3gvWajUAEX12Q

Exit mobile version