The Takoradi Circuit Court ‘A’ has ordered the lawyer for Josephine Panyin Mensah, a 28-year-old woman at the centre of the controversial pregnancy and kidnapping claims in Takoradi, in the Western Region, to file the statements of all her witnesses
The court presided over by Mr Michael Ampadu, ordered accused to file the witness’ statements and other relevant documents by June 7, 2022, to aid commencement of Case Management Conference.
Already, the court overruled a submission of no case by the lawyer of accused, MrFiifiBuckman, and ordered accused to open her defence.
The court indicated that the prosecution had been able to establish that accused was not kidnapped nor was she pregnant.Meanwhile, eight prosecution witnesses had testified in the case.
The court also indicated that prosecution had been able to produce all the requisite documents to support charges of publication of false news and deceit of public officer, against accused.
The court, therefore, indicated that it was incumbent on accused person to prove that she was pregnant and kidnapped by opening her defence. The case has been adjourned to Tuesday, June 7, 2022.
The police in September 2021, arrested three persons in connection with the alleged kidnapping of Josephine Mensah, who allegedly went missing in Takoradi on September 16 only to resurface five days later around Axim in the Western Region.
A police in a statement in September 23, 2021, said the victim, might have conspired with other persons over her possible planned disappearance.
Some individuals were arrested by the police for questioning on possible conspiracy charges and the suspects during interrogation mentioned the European Hospital in Takoradi as the hospital Mensah attended antenatal reviews and assessments.
However, medical records at the European Hospital suggested that Mensah visited the hospital without pregnancy, in October 2021.
“The police are heavily relying on medical experts who have examined her. Their findings are that Josephine Panyin Mensah was never pregnant within the period under review following thorough medical examination by the medical doctors at the Axim Government Hospital,” the statement said.
On September 21, 2021 the suspect reappeared, and was immediately taken to the Axim Government Hospital for medical attention. – GNA
