2 remanded for allegedly murdering woman

A Koforidua District Magistrate Court ‘A’ has remanded into police custody two persons, who were arrested by the Eastern Regional Command for allegedly murdering a 24-year-old woman, at Abrewa Nkwanta, a suburb of Koforidua.

Francis Torgbuiga, 36, and Iddi Mohammed, also known as Columbia, 32, would reappear before the court presided by Mr Osei Asibbey on July 30, this year.

Prosecutor, George Defia, prayed the court to remand them to enable the police to conduct further investigations into the matter.

The court also granted an application for bench warrant requested by the prosecutor to enable the police arrest two other accomplices, who were at large.

Scores of angry residents thronged the court to catch a glimpse of the accused, who allegedly murdered the woman.

The police personnel present had a hard time whisking away the accused into a taxi to avoid the crowd.

However, the crowd who realised the accused had been whisked away chased the taxi in anger, banging it whilst they rained curses and issued threats to deal with the accused.

Meanwhile, the Eastern regional police command has arrested one more suspect, who only gave his name as Babule, aged 30.

On July, 14 at about 7:30pm, the two accused were arrested by the police for allegedly being part of a gang that murdered a woman at Abrewa Nkwanta in Koforidua.

The Eastern Regional Police Public Relations Officer, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Ebenezer Tetteh, told the Ghanaian Times that the police had gathered intelligence that Togbuiga, who had in his possession a techno phone belonging to the deceased, has been spotted at Effiduase a suburb of Koforidua.

He said the police immediately grabbed him and upon interrogation, he mentioned the name of Mohammed, who was later arrested by the police at his hide out.

The deceased, Rita Afia Pokua, left home on July 9, 2019 this year, at about 7am and did not return, and her sister, Lydia Bosompem, reported the issue to the police.

Later, the police found the body of a woman in a bush, at a spot near the SDA Education Unit Office along the Kasadjan road at Abrewa Nkwanta, in a supine position.

Police investigations suggested the deceased struggled with her assailants before she was overpowered and dragged into the bush.

The police found bruises on the cheek, with blood oozing from the left ear, whilst other visible marks of assault were found on the back, right ankle, buttocks and both thighs.

Police took photographs of the body and conveyed it to the mortuary at St Joseph’s Hospital for autopsy. 


Show More
Back to top button