
The militarisation of the fight against illegal mining, popularly known as galamsey, is leading to gun proliferation, posing security threat to the stability of the country, a Senior Lecturer at the University of Mines and Technology (UMaT), Tarkwa, Dr Ishmael Quaicoe, has alerted.
He noted that the government’s attempt at fighting illegal mining with brute force, had created “victors and losers in a battle,” and that small scale miners would find ways of fighting back.
“We should all come together. Small scale mining is not a bad thing, but, if we do not manage it well, it will be suicidal. The military should be given the river bodies as their second barracks,” he observed.
Dr Quaicoe made the call at a panel discussions organsied by Western Region Chapter of the Ghana Journalists Association (GJA)/ Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI) good governance and sustainable development advocacy stakeholders’ forum in Takoradi on Monday.
He suggested that: “We [stakeholders] need to engage further and be guided by the laws to vigorously stem illegal mining.”
The event on the theme: ‘Redefining the Development Agenda: Collaborative Strategies for the Sustainable Growth of the Western Region,” attracted stakeholders, including journalists, government officials and chiefs, to address critical developmental challenges and chart a path toward sustainable growth.
Dr Quaicoe, who is also the Coordinator, Sustainable Mining and Small Scale Mining Hub at UMaT, observed that mining had been a major activity in Ghana for ages, and reported that about one million people were directly or indirectly involved in legal and illegal mining.
On the involvement of foreigners in galamsey, Dr Quaicoe said, “the Chinese on site do not know Wassa-Akropong. It is Ghanaians, who lead foreigners to the areas without relevant license or documents. Also, farmers are selling their cocoa farms to illegal miners.”
He recommended community-led approach in dealing with illegal mining while the military are tasked to guard water bodies.
Dr Quaicoe indicated that: “We need a paradigm shift for the resources to be a blessing to us, else, in the next 10 years, the Western Region will belong to foreigners, “and urged the people and chiefs to join the fight against illegal mining.
He lamented that “illegal mining is destroying water bodies, arable lands and cocoa farms. The use of mercury has a lot of health implications. Our cocoa production is dwindling.”
The Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, Mr Emmaneul Armah- Kofi Buah, said government would deploy the military to support regulatory institutions to combat Illegal mining.
He also indicated that “the government will deploy River Guards, as part of the Blue Water initiative while a holistic review of all mining leases, permits and licenses for operations in forest reserves are also in place.”
The repeal of Legislative Instrument (L.I. 2462) and the comprehensive review of mining-related legislation are also ongoing,” Mr Buah stated.
He also announced that in May, this year, government would register, monitor and track all earth moving and mining equipment.
FROM CLEMENT ADZEI BOYE, TAKORADI