Abossey Okai chief, 4 others to appear before court over Homowo celebration

The chief of Abossey Okai and four others, in Accra,  would appear before court for failing to notify the police about the celebration of Homowo festival.

The chief, Nii Abossey  III, Jacob Laryea,  Okyeame II, Naa Korkoi II , Manye, John Awuley Lartey, and Godfred Marmah Nelson, Nii Okyeame, were cautioned contrary to section 9 of the Public Order Act 491 1994.

The Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Accra Regional Police Command, Deputy Superintendent Effia Tenge, disclosed these to the Ghanaian Times in Accra yesterday .

He stated that statements were taken from the chief and accomplices, following an invitation by the Kaneshie Divisional Police Command, last Sunday.

The Police PRO said that two suspects  were being pursued  by the police for firing gunshots resulting in the death of two persons and injury of another.

It would be recalled that Ghanaian Times Monday, August 31, 2020  issue,  carried a story  that two persons were shot dead and another injured by gun wielding men, during the Homowo festival at Abossey Okai, on Saturday.

The dead were shot on their chest while the injured received gunshot wound on his right arm.

The bodies of the two male adults yet to be identified have been deposited at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital mortuary, while the injured had since been treated and discharged, but no arrest had been made in connection with the incident.

The Kaneshie Police received information that the chief and people of Abossey Okai had organised Ga Homowo festival without notifying the police.

DSP Tenge said in the cause of the celebration, while some customary rites were being performed, gunshots were heard outside, and some people were injured and rushed to the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital and Sukura Community Hospital.

She said police proceeded to the scene and after confirming the incident went to the two health facilities where the victims were taken to.

DSP Tenge said hospital authorities confirmed that three persons were rushed to the facilities with gunshot wounds, and two died while receiving treatment, but the third victim who sustained injury on the right arm was treated and discharged.

She  said  investigation into the case was ongoing, and appealed to the public to assist the police with reliable information for the arrest of the other suspects.


Show More
Back to top button