
THE Mamprusi Youth Association (MAYA), Bolgatanga Chapter, has condemned the killing of two residents of Zuarungu, the capital of the Bolgatanga East District in the Upper East Region, allegedly by officers of the Ghana Police Service.
While demanding justice for the killing of the two professionals: Samsudeen Mohammed, a nurse and Seidu Safianu, a social welfare officer, who according to the police, were among 10 suspects arrested at a private residence in Zuarungu on April 30, this year, the association dismissed claims that the deceased had links to motorbike snatching and a robbery incident at the Gbane mining community, as alleged by the police.
Speaking at a news conference in Zuarungu on Wednesday, the spokesperson for the association, Dr Abu Tia Jambedu, said family members of the deceased unequivocally condemned the killing of their relatives on May 1 this year.
It would be recalled that the Ghana Police Service, in a press release issued earlier, stated that a special intelligence team of the service had dismantled a robbery gang responsible for a series of violent attacks in the Upper East Region following an intelligence-led operation on April 29, 2026.
The statement mentioned that the suspects, Awudu Kasim, Malik Baako, Mohammed Amidu and Wadud Abdul, were arrested at their hideout in Zuarungu.
“Two suspects, Samsudeen Mohammed and Seidu Safianu, now deceased, sustained gunshot injuries during the operation, while four others were in custody assisting investigations,” the statement added.
But in a sharp rebuttal to the release, Dr Jambedu said the families of the deceased found the account given by the police inconsistent and misleading, insisting that it was only intended to shield the police from wrongdoing.
“On the day of the arrest (Thursday, April 30, 2026), 10 individuals, including students were arrested at this very residence where we are gathered. All of them were transported to the Zuarungu Police Station, and family members and eyewitnesses who visited them on the night of the arrest and even the following morning confirmed that all detainees including Seidu Safianu and Samsudeen Mohammed (now deceased) — were alive and had not sustained any injuries,” Dr Jambedu revealed.
The association contended that the impression created by the police that the deceased died as a result of gunshot injuries sustained during the operation was not true.
The spokesperson further stated that it was baffling to hear that the deceased, who had been taken to the police station to assist in investigations, later died as a result of a purported gunfire exchange with the police.
“The motorbikes the police believe were stolen actually belong to some of the suspects detained by the police. Others also belong to tenants in the house, and we have documentation covering the ownership of the bikes. This is a mystery!” he bemoaned.
The families of the deceased indicated that the inconsistencies and multiple edits made to the official police statement spoke volumes of foul play in the killing of the two men, describing the statement by the police as blatant falsehood.
The association, therefore, called on all Ghanaians to join hands with them in demanding accountability from the police over what they described as heinous acts being unleashed on innocent citizens.
It also called on President John Dramani Mahama to, as a matter of urgency, establish an Independent Commission of Enquiry to unravel the mystery surrounding the killing of the two men: Seidu Safianu, a Social Welfare Officer who until his untimely death worked with the Bolgatanga East District Assembly, and Samsudeen Mohammed, a nurse by profession.
FROM FRANCIS DABRE DABANG, ZUARUNGU
Follow our WhatsApp Channel now! https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbAjG7g3gvWajUAEX12Q







