IGP, CID boss absent from court over contempt case

The Inspector of Police, David Asante Apeatu and the Director General of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) Commissioner of Police (COP) Maame Yaa Tiwa Addo-Danquah have failed to show up in court in connection with a contempt case against them.

Counsel for Afoko,  Sowah Charwey, filed the application and asked the court to commit the IGP and the CID boss to contempt for failing to release Gregory Afoko , who was granted GH¢500,000 bail on March 14, 2019, by the Accra High Court.

COP Maame Yaa Tiwaa Addo-Danquah,Director-General CID

First, the IGP and the CID boss failed to appear on June 19, 2019, following an order made by Justice Jennifer Dodoo for the IGP Apeatu and COP Addo-Danquah to explain to the court why Afoko was still in custody.

The case was adjourned to July 3 for ruling, however, the duo failed to show up in court.

On June 19, Justice Dodoo, the presiding judge warned that she could have issued a bench warrant for the arrest of the IGP and the CID boss if they were ordinary citizens.

The court was expected to determine the fate of IGP Apeatu and COP Addo-Danquah yesterday, but the case was heard in-camera.

The Ghanaian Times gathered that the two heads sent a letter notifying the court that they were outside the jurisdiction and that they would be available on July 16.

Afoko’s trial started in 2016 and was nearing completion after the prosecution and the defence had closed their cases.

On January 26, 2019, Afoko closed his case after he and John Ishmael Afoko, his brother had testified.
The prosecution, led by a Chief State Attorney, Mr Matthew Amponsah, had called 14 individuals as prosecution witnesses.

The facts are that Afoko was accused of killing Adam Mahama, Upper East NPP Regional Chairman.

On May 20, 2015, Mahama left home in the morning at about 7am for his construction site in his Toyota Pick-Up with registration number MR761-14.

He returned home at about 11pm and stopped his vehicle at the entrance of his house.

Prosecution said that as soon he stopped two men signalled for him to roll down the window of his vehicle which he did.

The two men allegedly poured acid on the late Mahama, and fled on a motorcycle.

The deceased screamed for help, and his wife and other neighbours rushed him to the Bolgatanga Regional Hospital where he passed on the following morning.

Prosecution alleged that the late Mahama mentioned to his wife and other witnesses that Afoko and Asabke poured acid on him.

The case has been adjourned to July 22 at 3pm.


Show More
Back to top button