
The trial of former Director-General of the National Signals Bureau (NSB), Mr Kwabena Adu-Boahene, and his wife, Angela Adjei-Boateng, over the alleged diversion of $7 million meant for a cyber security project has been put on hold pending determination of an injunction application.
The application, filed by counsel for the accused, Mr Samuel Atta Akyea, seeks to restrain the High Court from conducting proceedings during the legal vacation.
Presiding Judge, Justice Francis Achibonga, said although filing an injunction application did not automatically operate as a stay of proceedings, a lower court should not continue an action which a superior court had been asked to restrain until the application had been determined.
The case has been adjourned to August 25, 2026, at 9:30 a.m.
Justice Achibonga said adjourning the trial until after the legal vacation would defeat the purpose of scheduling proceedings during the period, adding that lawyers from Mr Akyea’s firm could represent the accused to ensure an expeditious trial.
Mr Peter Samuel-Osei, holding brief for Mr Akyea, told the court that the lead counsel had other professional commitments during the vacation and could not attend the proceedings.
He said Mr Akyea had written to the court on August 14, 2026, explaining his inability to attend, and stressing the need to ensure adequate representation for the accused persons as guaranteed under the 1992 Constitution.
However, Deputy Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Dr Edem Srem-Sai, opposed the request, arguing that counsel had not demonstrated why other lawyers from his firm could not represent the accused.
He said the court had already directed that the trial proceed during the vacation and counsel could not determine the pace of proceedings from the Bar.
Mr Adu-Boahene and two others are facing charges of alleged embezzlement and financial misconduct in connection with a $7 million (about GH¢49 million) cyber defence system contract.
Earlier, an EOCO investigator and prosecution witness, Frank Marshall Cromwell, testified that Mr Adu-Boahene transferred GH¢9.54 million, equivalent to $1.75 million, to ISC Holdings, an Israeli company contracted to supply the cyber defence system.
The witness said no further payments were made, while the remaining funds were allegedly withdrawn for personal use until the account was depleted and later closed.
The Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Dr Dominic Ayine, has previously said investigations indicated that funds earmarked to strengthen Ghana’s cyber security capabilities were diverted for personal use.
BY MALIK SULLEMANA
Follow our WhatsApp Channel now! https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbAjG7g3gvWajUAEX12Q







